Monday, February 1, 2016

Lessons from the Garden


Correct, Mister Laurie!

It wasn't until after I got started working that I remembered this quote. I've been feeling antsy and agitated about my yard and garden the past couple weeks... we have NOT taken good care of it this winter. Today for some reason, when I came home from class, I didn't go inside. I just put my bag down, left my headphones on, and got to work on the garden. As I worked, I had many thoughts.
  • Perfection is the enemy of progress. 
  • Proper tools are essential for easier tasks.
  • Tools are great, but for really delicate things, sometimes you have to show your ass a little and get your hands dirty. [Okay, maybe I just need a belt...]
  • Work from the inside out... or else you will end up undoing the work you've already done. [think in terms of self/other... You must heal yourself before helping others. You know, like an oxygen mask on an airplane. First affix the mask to yourself, then provide assistance to others! Or like Ru Paul says...]
  • If you're going to play in the dirt, don't be surprised when the creepie crawlies show up.
  • Maintenance is much easier than a major overhaul. Consistency is key, and much less daunting.
  • However... cleansing and purging is sometimes necessary to move forward, and can be very rewarding.
  • Above all, grow. In the face of death, destruction, ignorance.... grow. Until you reach the sun. Be like this little guy.

Which reminds me.

Apologies for the tangent. Now. Focus. I can plant some more crocus bulbs now, but generally the second week of February is the nastiest of the winter up here. So I may wait until after that. But having to wait until April to plant everything else is going to drive me nuts! I want to put down some sunflowers by the fence where the pup has worn the grass away [so it at least looks like it was on purpose], and a major project idea came to me while I was working in the flower bed. It's going to take a lot of help, some cash, and a lot of work. Updates when I get the plans fleshed out a little.

Pup-date: Conehead gets his stitches out tomorrow. And hopefully today is our last day of dealing with the cone!

No comments:

Post a Comment