Monday, February 8, 2016

Feelin' Like Death

I don't really have a whole lot to write about today, but I figured since I'm sick I might as well spend some time writing. That's at least semi-productive, right?

I have a pretty killer immune system. I rarely get sick. I'm more of a Typhoid Mary character--I bring the bugs home to everyone else. But when something does manage to get through my immune system, boy it sure hits hard. Usually this only happens once or twice a year--once in the spring, and once in the fall. In college, it usually managed to hit right around finals. On deployment, I really only got sick after vaccinations. After we got home, I only got sick when we got the flu shot. I'm not sure if I've even really been sick-sick since I got off the ship... But wow, this year it's killing me.

It comes in waves kind of. I'll feel fine for a little bit, functional at least, and then I'll be so miserable all I want to do is sleep--but unable to. This is Day Four of the sickness. I can never quite trust my brain or my body. I can't tell if I need to take it easy and heal, or if I need to suck it up and just get everything done. So far today has been a decent compromise--I slept in, went out for meds, and made some phone calls I'd been putting off. I also cleaned the bedroom fan and set up the humidifier I bought back in December--the dry air has been making my nose burn now that I'm sick. I'll probably spend the rest of the day crafting in bed--I have a special project for a friend who is opening her own salon. Nothing major, but I'm really excited for her and I hope her plans come together. I was going to try to tackle the laundry and also go to hot yoga, but now I'm thinking that might be pushing it a little.

Even though I'm sick and miserable, I'm really really thankful. I love that I have a comfy bed and a sweet puppy to curl up with. [That face! It's like he knows!] I love that I have an equally sweet man to spoil me, even though he thinks he never does enough [hint: he totally does]. I have everything I could ever ask for right now, and it feels sooooooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment