Thursday, August 7, 2014

It Really Works.

I wonder if I could get a note from my doc saying that I need to leave work early [x]-number of times a week to participate in Art Therapy. I mean, forreal. I hardly know what I'm doing and I am having a blast. I don't know why it helps, I don't know what about it is making me feel better, but something is working. I don't have a whole lot of ideas, at least not cohesive ones. But I do bits and pieces and things come together sometimes. I am continuously learning and expressing, and boy if it isn't just the greatest thing ever. It's more positive than writing--although writing does seem to help me think and process more. I suppose somehow Mrs. K was right, and the best way to work through my frustrations, fears, and issues right now is to turn to creativity. I may not sort as much out this way, but it certainly is soothing.

mmmmm, silly string. 

That being said, I also spent a bit on RockSmith today. I'm still not totally sold on it. Part of that is because I've learned songs a certain way and I'm not the most flexibly-minded person on the planet. But, on the other hand, I did pick up a new song that otherwise would've taken me a bit longer to learn on my own. I have complaints, sure--their tabs are upside down [heaviest string on top, when you look at it] which is counter-intuitive to anyone who has ever read tabs; they have their own mechanics of gameplay and they call things by different names--but all in all I can see how it can be a useful tool. After adventuring with the program today, it's looking more like the Italian is going to learn bass, which leaves a nice Epi SG all to yours truly. I've been talking about picking up the guitar for months, if not years, now, so I guess I'd better make good on that claim.

Nothing beats playing with other people though, and I'm planning on going out to a weekly Rock-a-Roke event this weekend. For those of you who don't know, which seems to be everyone outside of WA, Rock-a-Roke is basically like Karaoke with a live band. Except you don't have to sing... I could look through their books, walk up, and say "I want to play [song] on bass. Gimmie!" and they would turn me loose. Not a bad gig really, considering that they are probably getting paid to show up, and really only having to play x-amount of the time... but the time they are playing, they have to be on point. They have to cover for newbies, novices, and drunkards; and let me tell you, from my experiences in Corson, that is not always easy. And also not all it's cracked up to be.

I've been settling in and putting things away little by little... by VERY little. I suppose when the bedframe gets here tomorrow that might give me a little more inspiration. I was hoping to get the whole garage cleaned out on this time away from work, but I think I'll settle for bedroom fixed up and the garage with boxes neatly stacked instead of the random pile of moving mess that we have now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment