Friday, August 22, 2014

There is no Irony, Only Hindsight.

Yesterday as I was driving, a really great song came on my shuffled list. I'm talking about "Time is Running Out" by Muse. Remember, I play bass. So, this song was a blast to learn. The timing is a little tough, but it's really fun to play and I love the sound of the bass with some fuzz on it. When I listened to it again I noticed the wet/dry mix they had going--wish I could have done that too--but that's all beside the point. Anyone who knows me knows that aside from a good thumping bass line, one of the most important things to me is a song's lyrics. I've sung this song I don't know how many times, and loved it every time, but for some reason this time I actually paid a deeper attention to the words. I know I haven't done this much on my blog, but I'm going to just paste some lyrics before I go on... keep in mind I have deleted some of the repetitions.

I think I'm drowning
Asphyxiated
I wanna break this spell
That you've created
You're something beautiful
A contradiction
I wanna play the game
I want the friction
You will be the death of me

Bury it
I won't let you bury it
I won't let you smother it
I won't let you murder it
Our time is running out
Our time is running out
You can't push it underground
You can't stop it screaming out

I wanted freedom
Bound and restricted
I tried to give you up
But I'm addicted
Now that you know I'm trapped
Sense of elation
You'd never dream of
Breaking this fixation
You will squeeze the life out of me

[repeat chorus]

How did it come to this?
You will suck the life out of me

What I realized while singing along--hit me like a hammer, actually--is that this is one of the last songs I learned with my band. My first thought was, "Boy, that sure is ironic. Prophetic, almost." Now don't worry folks, I'm not going to go all mysterious voodoo on you here, but... I love hindsight. Love-Hate, I guess, is more accurate. This song always pulled up strong emotions in me, but I never could put my finger on it. It's one of the few songs that I can sing along to, in public, and while playing, even. And sometimes doing that would almost give me chills. Now I know why: It's almost a direct illustration of my last relationship, as well as my relationship with the band. So I suppose it's only fitting that this would have been the last song I learned with that group of people... If I had only known how much truth there was to the lyrics... Aw but hell, do I even think I would have listened? 

Again, hindsight is such a valuable tool. We tend to ignore things that are uncomfortable. We don't always pick up the vibrations in the universe [which I think may have plans, or show signs, but not on like, a god-like level or anything... existence is just weird, okay?]. We like to turn the other way and let life go on happening. But I've almost always found that retrospect is a very important thing to learn. As enlightened beings [some of us more--or less--than others], it is very important for us to constantly check in, constantly look back to learn lessons that eluded us at the time. That old saying of "Hindsight is 20/20," I never really understood it in theory, but boy do I understand it in practice. So many things make much more sense once you factor in the knowledge and/or experiences that you have gained over time. 

I guess what I'm saying is although I still love this song, I'm sure glad I put a stop to my assisted downward spiral before it got much worse. Although I am still stressed often, and although I still don't really have as much closure as I'd like, I know that I am much better off now. 

Take care of yourselves, people. And always, always glance back.

No comments:

Post a Comment