Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Everywhere you go, there you are.


I was so excited to visit Malaysia.
Well, okay, I’ve always been excited to visit other countries. I love culture. I love food. I love seeing things and taking pictures and doing stuff. I love experiences. I love things that give me a good story to tell.

And you know what? I [mostly] got none of that so far.

So far, I have been to Singapore and Malaysia. So far, they have stricken [struck?] me as so similar to the US that it’s disturbing. I claim that I want the “real” culture… so we go to a malay market down the street where everything reeks. Not worth it. Singapore? Super clean version of the US. Malaysia? Super dirty hot version of the US, where it gets dark really early.

I don’t know. I mean, if I wanted to wander around a mall and go to a movie, I could do that at home and have a lot more fun doing so. Walking around town only kills so much time, and is seldom worth it. In a muslim/asian country, I had Italian food twice, burgers twice, and one curry dish. Really?? Okay so maybe I should've gotten the Laksa for lunch today, and at least my pizza had salmon and capers. I don’t know. Maybe this would all be more fun and exciting if I could share it with the people I care about.

And you know what else?? I can't see any stars. I saw maybe three in port. You'd think with less light pollution there would be more stars in the sky but honestly, it's just not true. I don’t know why the rest of the world doesn’t have skies like the US.

I need more adventures. I need more pictures. I need more stories. This isn’t cutting it. I'm not DOING much of anything. And I don’t have  a lot of chance to change that. Mostly, I guess, going somewhere else just makes me want to go home that much more. I miss home more than anything, and all I can do is think about how much I like Tacoma more than anything.

...okay well you know the coffee here is AMAZING. I'll give 'em that.

No comments:

Post a Comment