Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Words I wish I had written

Pop music does not grow and mature alongside you. The pop stars of the 90s who sang songs about chasing girls and falling in love for the first time when you were chasing girls and falling in love for the first time aren't going to suddenly start singing songs about how your liberal arts degree was worthless and it's weird that all of your friends are getting married just because you're 26 and going through that now. The Backstreet Boys will never become The Backstreet Men. All you can do is cling to your favorite artists and pray they never stop releasing new music. Also stay away from pop radio. It's terrifying out there.”

This is the kind of thing I think about. This is the kind of thing I wish I’d thought to say. This is the kind of thing that I wish had MY name on it, instead of Daniel O'Brien’s. Then people would discuss how witty and apt my observations are, and someone somewhere on the internet would read what I had written and laugh. This is, perhaps, why I was so determined to get my bullshit BA in English. Because I want to be some kind of she-Klosterman. And now… sigh. I simply think these thoughts to myself and sometimes have similar debates with Hubs, which never end well, since he and I think so differently about music and culture. Ironically somehow we play in the same cover band. Go figure. Well, at least I’m aware that I’m doing it ironically. Him, I’m not so sure.

However, with all of that being said, I do love me some Cracked.

No comments:

Post a Comment