Thursday, September 13, 2012

Mixed Feelings

-----Original Message-----
From: Hubs
To: IC4.5

 

your dad posted:

 

Sleep well and enjoy your freedom America, my daughter is on watch aboard the USS [XXXX] underway to the Gulf.

 

today.

 

Just thought you'd like to know.

 

 

From: IC4.5

To: Hubs

What time did he post that? It would be funny if I really was on watch, although it's not the glamorous, noble duty he makes it out to be. Touching, but also slightly... [something]... and also intimidating, ominous...

 

----End Message-----

 

Lots of mixed feelings. Haven’t been having a good day already, since 4 am my time. Hoping this particular exchange isn’t something I/we/you look back on later in any sort of context... but it seems to me like wicked foreshadowing. I just find it funny because my “watch” entails waiting for someone to complain that their tv reception is shitty. Then I go look at it and tell them there’s not much I can do. But anyways.

 

I only vaguely heard about some bombings. It scares me how people here tend to brush everything off. A lot of people do not take a lot of things seriously. I know I’m new and I missed everything last time, but when you start running drills and issuing gear and giving me smallpox and anthrax vaccines and having me submit the info the SEALs would need to extricate me a la Act of Valor, THAT SHIT FREAKS ME OUT. I know it’s normal. I know it’s routine. But JFC people, look around you.  This shit ain’t a joke. Maybe it’s because I’m older, but, like Doc Brown says, there’s a problem with the Earth’s gravity, everything has gained extra mass, this shit is HEAVY. I don’t like where this is going. Please please please don’t let that be prophetic. Please please please don’t let me flash back on this like déjà vu.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment