Friday, June 22, 2012

Day Twenty-Three

Holy crap, where to begin?

It's been a busy week, what with hubby just barely recovering from surgery, then going back in with a fever. He's doing okay now, but it's going to be a long recovery. So, with that said, it's been tough to keep up on blogs. It's also been hard to keep up with the garden; seems like every day is a new adventure. Since Sir William visited, we have had not just two, but closer to TEN peppers sprout! The cayenne are coming in a little stronger than the jalapeno, but when they grow up we should have plenty of each. Today I replanted the cayennes, but since the jalapenos are still sprouting I think I'll give them another couple days.


The asparagus was about 5-6" tall... until Fat Cat decided to crawl into the greenhouse for a snack. Luckily I busted him and they'll be okay. I also learned the other day that asparagus is a) part of the Lily family, and 2) grows as a fern at first. Also, growing them from seeds like we did is apparently almost insane; they will grow to be at least a foot tall; you can't harvest them for the first few years, but afterwards they will go upwards of 10; and also, they apparently have a very intensive root structure, so trying to container plant them is fairly ridiculous. They are very tall and slender, and actually wrapped around each other a little bit. I stole some chopsticks from our evergrowing stash to give them something to grow around, but they don't seem to care.

This is all that's left in the pod starter pack... Not that I could really tell you what they are. I'm having rotten luck with catnip, have tried it two different times with no results either way.



This is all that's left of the mystery bush plant thing. I saved its life once and it did well for a while [you can even see it blooming here] but I think I finally figured out what's hurting it so badly--the plant lights. I think it might be something that does better with partial light or something; it just seems like the leaves closest to the lights are getting burnt.






No comments:

Post a Comment