Sunday, June 24, 2012

Haze Grey

Well, it’s been about 5 hours so far and I’ve already smashed my hands up three times… twice out of clumsiness and only once out of anger. This morning I was almost excited, thinking I’d finally gotten a handle on this stuff… alas, not true, you can never truly be ready for this level of stupidity and attitude. But I do feel more prepared. I would rather be home, of course, but this is the next step in an exercise of lessening the blow. So far I’m actually optimistic. The spaghetti has been a big hit, although I’m still getting ribbed on the dubious quantity—it’s not a 55 gallon drum, so it can’t possibly be enough. For those of you who don’t know, my spaghetti is somewhere in the realm of legendary. This time I grabbed some on-sale rotinis though, and turns out they were gluten free, and therefore made out of corn. Corn noodles… yeah, just not the same. They feel a little funny as leftovers. Next time I’ll be more careful. I don’t do recipes really, but if you want to give it a shot, here’s the ingredients:

-hamburger meat
-italian sausage
-diced tomatoes
-fresh diced green onions
-loads of fresh diced garlic
-fresh diced onions
-mushrooms chopped to your desired consistency [I don’t like the way they feel so I cut them very small]
-grated zucchini
-Hunt’s spaghetti sauce [doesn’t really matter what variety, but it’s cheap, and comes in huge cans, and it’s all I’ll ever use]
-spices: garlic, garlic salt, oregano, basil, mixed Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, minced onion, bay leaves

Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil. Add hamburger meat, season, cook almost through. Add sausage, cook through. Add everything else, season again. I can still guarantee you it won’t come close to mine, but you might get close. You can use whatever kind of noodles you prefer, but it won’t be quite right if you don’t use rotini.


2 comments:

  1. Mountain Mermaid AKA Havilah7/9/12, 6:35 AM

    Totally get the 55 gallon drum! When I cook, I make enough for everyone, plus two other people, just in case someone shows up out of the blue. And then I make enough for everyone to have seconds, and then thirds, and then enough for leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yes leftovers!! Tom won't touch them most of the time, but when it comes to spaghetti I could eat those leftovers for like three days straight. even on the boat. and so i did!

    ReplyDelete